About the WDM
The Museum is a legislated agency of the Province of Saskatchewan, and operates within the jurisdiction of the Ministry of Parks, Culture and Sport.
The Museum is governed by an autonomous Board of Directors, appointed by Order-in-Council. The Board hires the Executive Director, to whom all other staff report. A Manager at each WDM location is responsible for the day-to-day operations.
Average annual attendance at the four Western Development Museum exhibit branches, including school groups, is about 200,000.
Buildings & Exhibit Space
The Western Development Museum provincial headquarters is housed in the Curatorial Centre in Saskatoon. The four WDM exhibit locations provide a grand total of 307,100 square feet of covered area - 262,875 square feet for exhibit/programs and 44,225 square feet of office and storage space. Total land area is 165 acres, slightly larger than the original prairie farm unit of a quarter section (160 acres).
Associations & Organizations
The Saskatchewan Western Development Museum is an active member of the Canadian Museums Association, Museums Association of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Heritage Collections Conservation Committee and Canadian Heritage Information Network.
The WDM branches are also active members of local tourism and development associations, chambers of commerce, exhibition associations and other community organizations.
Volunteers perform much needed services within the Museum operations. Over 1400 volunteers are involved in a variety of events and activities at the four branches and the Curatorial Centre.
More about WDM Volunteers
The Members' Program at the Saskatchewan Western Development Museum was begun in 1983. The membership program increases awareness and a sense of ownership of our Western Canadian history and heritage in general, and of the Western Development Museum in particular.
Ken Azzopardi, Chair - Regina
Dave Whitehead - North Battleford
Dianna Ireland - Moose Jaw
Raymond Sadler - Biggar
Susan Lamb - Saskatoon
Dennis Naphin - Yorkton
Kevin Kurulak - Biggar
The Western Development Museum is the keeper of Saskatchewan’s collective heritage. The Museum shares the province’s unique sense of place with all people for their understanding and enjoyment – recognizing that the legacy of the past is the foundation for a sustainable future.
As stated in the Western Development Museum Act, 1949, revised October 1983,
Province of Saskatchewan:
The Board shall endeavour:
(a) to procure by gift, donation, devise, bequest or loan wherever possible, and by purchase where necessary and desirable, tools, machinery, implements, engines, devices and other goods and chattels of historical value and importance connected with the economic and cultural development of western Canada;
(b) to collect, arrange, catalogue, recondition, preserve and exhibit to the public, the tools, machinery, implements, engines, devices and other goods and chattels referred to in clause (a);
(c) to stimulate interest in the history of the economic and cultural development of western Canada;
(d) to cooperate with organizations having similar objects. R.S.S. 1965, c.400, s.11.