Contact Us
Welcome to the Western Development Museum
Facebook Instragram Twitter YouTube Donate Now through Canada Helps.org

Calliope

Education Programs

George Shepherd Library

Training Courses

65 + Years of Collecting

Take a look at a sampling of artifacts collected since our founding in 1949.

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974   

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


By Collections Curator Ruth Bitner

1949-1959

Collected in 1949
W.R. Motherwell’s Surrey

Black and white image of W. R. Motherwell in surrey being pulled by horse

Surrey that belonged to W.R. Motherwell, Saskatchewan minister of agriculture from 1905 to 1918 and federal minister of agriculture from 1921 to 1929. His farm near Abernethy, Saskatchewan is now a National Historic Site. The surrey is on exhibit at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1950
Stagecoach

Stagecoach bought by the hotel owner in Nokomis, Saskatchewan from the Brunswick Hotel in Winnipeg. The stagecoach is on exhibit at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1950
1910 Maxwell Roadster

Right-hand drive Maxwell traded in 1915 for a saddle and a pig. During the First World War, the owner’s wife drove her friends to meetings where they sewed supplies for the Red Cross. The Maxwell is featured at the Yorkton WDM.

Collected in 1951
Geiser Steam Traction Engine

Geiser used as a demonstrator by a Manitoba company then sold to a Warman, Saskatchewan area farmer. It was used for plowing and threshing in the Hague district until the mid-1930s. About 1940 it was sold for use in a sawmill in the Garrick area. The Geiser is at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1951
Morris Rod Weeder

Morris

One of three rod weeders built by George Morris of Bangor, Saskatchewan in 1930. Morris patented his rod weeder in 1929 and went on to invent and manufacture a variety of agricultural equipment. Morris Industries is still going strong in 2014 as a leading manufacturer of air seeders, air drills and other agricultural implements. The 1930 rod weeder is on exhibit at the Yorkton WDM.

Find out more about the Morris Rod Weeder -->

Collected in 1952
J.I. Case 12-25 HP tractor

Two-cylinder tractor built in 1916 and sold by the J.I. Case dealer in North Battleford, Saskatchewan. About 3300 were manufactured before production ended in 1918. This tractor is on exhibit at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1952
Steam-powered Drill

Steam-powered drill used by several different owners during its working life. In the 1930s it was used by the Simpson Oil Company of Simpson, Saskatchewan for drilling test holes for oil. The drill is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre in Saskatoon.

Collected in 1953
Model T Conversion

“Mailman’s Special” attachment kit with skis and tracks built about 1930 for winter use. It was used in the Sovereign, Saskatchewan area until about 1936. The vehicle is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre in Saskatoon.

Collected in 1954
Jewish Hearse

Hearse used by Saskatoon’s Jewish Burial Society from 1908 to 1940. The gear was manufactured in Toronto; the enclosed top was built by Landa Carriage Works, Saskatoon. The hearse is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre in Saskatoon.

Collected in 1954
1925 Ford Model T Truck

Ford truck used by Lund’s Taxidermy in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. It is on exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1955
1930 Packard Sedan

One of the three Ps of luxury cars: Packard, Peerless and Pierce Arrow. Its last stop was Saskatoon on a 1954 trip from Ontario. It is on exhibit as part of the Classy Cars exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1955
Arctic Ice Company Delivery Wagon

Used by the Arctic Ice Company to deliver blocks of ice harvested from the river to Saskatoon homes and businesses for use in their iceboxes. The company was sold in 1966; the new owner sold ice until 1972. The delivery wagon is on exhibit on Boomtown Street at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1956
George White Steam Traction Engine

Manufactured in London, Ontario and now used for demonstrations at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1956
Waterous Fireproof Champion Portable Steam Engine

One of the 19th century Canadian-built portable steam engines in the WDM collection. It was built in Brantford, Ontario in the 1880s. It is on exhibit at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1956
Rocking Chair

Rocking chair with mother-of-pearl inlay believed to have been used in the Lacadena, Saskatchewan area. It is in the telephone operator’s house on Boomtown Street in the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1957
Samovar

Used especially in Russia to boil water for making tea. A cylindrical container inside held charcoal or other solid fuel which was ignited to heat the water. The samovar is on exhibit in the General Store, Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1957
1931 Cadillac- LaSalle Roadster

A 1930s classic with rumble seat. The LaSalle was introduced in 1927 and discontinued after 1940. The car is part of the Classy Car exhibit at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Collected in 1957
J.I. Case 110 HP Steam Traction Engine

One of the largest steam engines in the WDM collection. It had been used to power a sawmill in the Swan Plain, Saskatchewan area. Restored to operating condition, it is used for demonstrations at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1958
Vulcan Narrow Gauge Steam Locomotive

Originally used in a coal mine in southern Alberta then at sodium sulphate mines in Alsask and Bishopric, Saskatchewan. Restored by the WDM, it is the only operating steam locomotive in the province and runs during the summer at the Moose Jaw WDM.

Find out more about the Short Line 101 -->

Collected in 1958
Spinning Wheel

Reportedly made in Iceland for the Stefansson family in the mid-1850s. Icelandic immigrants brought it to Manitoba about 1877. The family moved on to North Dakota before immigrating to the Wynyard - Elfros, Saskatchewan area in 1903, bringing the spinning wheel with them. The spinning wheel is in the General Store at the Saskatoon WDM.

Collected in 1958
Avery Tractor

8-16 HP two-cylinder tractor used in southwest Saskatchewan near Climax. Its owner was apparently not impressed with its performance, commenting “the only thing that was good about it was it would get rid of gas and gave the cattle something to rub on." The tractor is at the North Battleford WDM.

Collected in 1959
Calliope

Calliope keyboard and whistles acquired from Utah; body, boiler and gear put together by the WDM. A new body was constructed years later and a new steam boiler added in 2002. The calliope was featured at the Saskatchewan Pavilion during Expo 86 in Vancouver. Its merry tunes can often be heard at WDM events and parades around Saskatchewan.

Find out more about the Calliope -->

Collected in 1959
Silk Suit

Woman’s silk two piece ensemble, c. 1885. Notice the detailed construction and the bustle-effect at the back. The ensemble is in storage at the WDM Curatorial Centre.

Collected in 1959
Railway Coach

Originally built as a sleeping coach for the Canadian Pacific Railway in 1884 by Barney & Smith, Dayton, Ohio. It was renamed several times and modified over its long period of use to include kitchen, bedrooms, bathroom and sitting rooms. The coach was last used by the CPR superintendent, Saskatoon division, in the 1950s. The coach is featured in the Rail Gallery at the Moose Jaw WDM.


More 65+ Years of Collecting

1949 - 1959    1960 - 1964   1965 - 1969   1970 - 1974   

1975 - 1979   1980 - 1984   1985 - 1989   1990 -1994

1995 - 1999   2000 - 2004   2005 - 2009   2010 - 2014


You may also be interested in:

More Artifact Stories

About the WDM Collection

How to donate an artifact