Grain elevators are storage facilities for wheat and other grains. Grain is
unloaded into a pit or other area at the base and is conveyed from there to
the top. From distributor spouts at the top, the grain, separated by grade,
falls through chutes into any of a number of storage bins. The grain is
eventually loaded onto train box cars for shipment.
Originally built in Keatley, Saskatchewan in 1928, this elevator was moved to the Village in 1983 and restored in 1984 with the generous assistance of the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool. Formed in 1924, the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool acted as a farmer-owned cooperative to market grain.
Towering above the landscape, a beacon for prairie travellers, the grain elevator has come to symbolize the settlement of the West in the early years of the 20th century.
Intent on saving this quintessential symbol of prairie farm life, in 1983 the North Battleford Western Development Museum masterminded the transfer of a Saskatchewan Wheat Pool elevator from the village of Keatley.
Built in 1928, the 23 metre (75 foot) elevator was a gift to the WDM from the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool. Forty power lines had to be cut along the route. Thirty SaskPower volunteers assisted with the move.
This is one of our most photographed artifacts. Take a look at our "Visitor Views of the North Battleford WDM" Flickr Gallery to see a few examples.