Take a sneak peak at our current exhibits.
Outdoor Village (Seasonal)
Open seasonally May 1 - September 31
We have 100 acres (40 hectares), with over 30 homes and businesses representing the boom years of the 1920s - and a farmstead. Check out a few of the highlights below.
Click the images below for virtual tours of the village.
Doctor's Office and Drug Store
newest building, opened in May 2011. We invite you to step back into
the 1920s, to imagine what it was like to finally have a doctor and
druggist set up shop in town.
Read more about our Doctor's Office and Drug Store -->
Towering above the landscape, a beacon
for prairie travellers,
the grain elevator has
come to symbolize the
settlement of the West in
the early years of the 20th
Intent on saving this quintessential symbol of prairie farm life, in 1983 the North Battleford Western Development Museum masterminded the transfer of a Saskatchewan Wheat Pool elevator from the village of Keatley, Saskatchewan.
Find out more about our Grain Elevator -->
Churches of the Village
was a sustaining element in the lives of many people. The Heritage Village
has four authentic churches: St. Luke's Roman Catholic Church, St. Mary's
Anglican Church, St. Anthony's Roman Catholic Church, and Holy Trinity
Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church.
See our churches and find out which Saskatchewan communities they came from -->
The blacksmith sharpened plowshares, replaced horseshoes, repaired wheels
and shaped iron into tools and replacement parts. Metal was heated in a
forge, where bellows forced air through the fire to heat the iron. Tongs
were used to hold each malleable, red hot item on the anvil while the
blacksmith hammered it into the desired shape with his sledge. It was then
plunged into a nearby tank of water to harden it.
If you are interested in learning more about blacksmithing, you are invited to sign up for the WDM Introduction to Blacksmithing course.
The farm home of the McLaren family of Rockhaven was built in 1914 and donated to the WDM in 1987. Built in the Ontario Gothic style, it was constructed in two stages. The upstairs walls are unfinished; the original lathe and plaster walls are still exposed. The house was not wired for electricity. Items used by the McLaren family and given with the house include a hooked rug and blanket chest which was used for storage and as additional work space.
North West Mounted Police Outpost
NWMP building was originally built in 1895 in the Jackfish Lake District,
which includes Meota. It was moved to the Village in
The house at the North Battleford WDM illustrates a style of building that was brought to Saskatchewan in the late 1800s by Ukrainian settlers. They built homes from readily available material such as logs, clay, willows and grass. Thatched roofs varied from home to home, often reflecting the traditions of the region from which the family had emigrated. A well-thatched roof lasted about 30 years, was waterproof and provided excellent insulation.
Telephone and Post Office
the Department of Telephone was set up in 1908, telephone service was
provided by privately-owned companies. Under government regulations, the
government provided service to urban communities, including trunk links for
long distance. In rural areas, provision was made for telephone districts
with boards to be elected by the residents of the communities. As late as
1933, there were 1,169 cooperative telephone companies in Saskatchewan.
Read more about the history of Telephones in Saskatchewan-->
Pussy Willows and Prairie Wool
Transplanted virgin prairie sod and native willow commemorates the
beauty and promise of the Saskatchewan prairie and is dedicated to the
pioneers of the Forest Hall, Highworth, Metropole, Mount Hope, Ranger, and
Whitewood Lake districts.
Mounted Police Statue
In 1925 there were over one million horses in Saskatchewan. But forty years later in 1965 when the Western Development Museum needed a horse,
staff looked to Alberta for help.
Find out more about the Mounted Police Statue -->