This barn (WDM-1986-NB-1) was built around 1914 for Sid Brinkhurst’s farm near North Battleford. Sid came to Saskatchewan from England in 1906 at the age of 17. Upon arriving in Saskatchewan, he lied about his age so he could file a claim for a homestead. He moved multiple times within Saskatchewan, mostly because of issues with water access on the land he had been granted, before settling on the piece of land where this barn was built, southwest of North Battleford. The barn was moved to the WDM in 1986.
This barn is a typical Gambrel style barn, the most common style of barn on the Canadian prairies in the early 20th century. The presence of a large barn like this indicated a thriving farm. Many prairie farms thrived between 1911 and 1918 because of good crops and high demand due to the First World War.