Constructed in 1905 by Barr Colonists near Maymont, the Grey Schoolhouse (WDM-1973-NB-13901) represents a typical one-room schoolhouse on the Canadian prairies. The schoolhouse opened on November 6, 1905, with Annie A. Arkely as the first teacher. 21 were students in attendance. Attendance at the school peaked in 1920 with 32 students. The schoolhouse was named in honour of Governor General Earl Grey.
In addition to being a school, the building was used for Anglican, Presbyterian and later United Church services. It also hosted community dances and Junior Red Cross events in both World Wars and was used as a polling station for elections. In 1918, during the influenza pandemic, the church was closed for a month and a half. Schools were a central point of community life in the first half of the 20th century.
The school was in operation until 1957, when it closed due to low enrollment. The building was moved to the WDM grounds in 1961.
Image: Grey Schoolhouse at the WDM North Battleford, 1976.
Built in a Second Empire style.
Front entry was added in 1951, including a cloak room and an indoor washroom (using pails, indoor plumbing was never added to the schoolhouse).
Electricity was added to the school in 1954.