North-West Mounted Police Outpost
Constructed around 1887, this building (WDM-1973-NB-13905) was used as a stopover house for travelers until the mid-1890s. In 1895, it was converted into barracks for the North-West Mounted Police (NWMP). It was used until 1909 when the detachment was closed, and the land was converted to a farm. In 1917, the land was taken over by the Soldier Resettlement Board with the goal of housing a returning soldier in the building. It was inhabited by a soldier from 1918 until 1924 when ownership returned to the Soldier Resettlement Board.
Records are unclear as to whether the building was occupied or left empty between 1924 and 1940. In around 1941, Helena and Elphege Carignan purchased the land and lived in the building while farming there until 1956.
The building was moved to the WDM in 1967.
Image: The barracks building prior to its relocation to the WDM North Battleford grounds.
Built in Second Empire style with features such as peaked windows and doorframes.