Rural Municipality Office
This building (WDM-1973-NB-13907) was originally constructed as a vernacular one-room schoolhouse near Roecliffe, an area originally settled by Barr Colonists. The school opened around 1910 but few details are known about its construction.
In the early days of the school, teachers would board with local families. By the mid-1940s, teachers lived in North Battleford and commuted to school. In 1961, a trailer was installed in the schoolyard for the teacher to live in.
After several closures and re-openings in the 1930s and 1940s, the school was in operation until 1964. It was moved to the WDM in 1967. By 1969, the WDM renovated it to represent a municipal office instead of a school.
Image: Class photo at another one-room schoolhouse in Milbrooke, c. 1910.
When the school first opened, its clock was set by the whistle of the 9:00 am train heading to Saskatoon.
During the Depression, it was too expensive to replace the flag outside the school, so it was replaced with a painted piece of tin.
Wainscoting around the interior of the building and the floor are original.