Smarter Science Better Buildings
In this hands-on workshop, students explore the concepts of heat and temperature through the practical application of making our homes more energy efficient.
Moose Jaw | North Battleford | Saskatoon | Yorkton
January 24, 2023 - February 17, 2023 | Saskatoon
February 28, 2023 - March 15, 2023 | Moose Jaw
March 23, 2023 - April 6, 2023 | Yorkton
May 8, 2023 - May 26, 2023 | North Battleford
Arts Education | ELA | Math | Science | Social Studies
$3.50 per student
Museum Led Program led by Museum staff or volunteers.
Smarter Science Better Buildings is a 2-hour, hands-on program. Students explore the concepts of heat and temperature through the practical application of making our homes more energy efficient. Students also tour Museum exhibits related to sustainable living (homes, transportation, etc.).
Workstations focus on:
- Energy efficient lighting and appliances
- Water conservation
- Home retrofits
- Building materials
- Solar heating
- A model of a net zero (produces as much energy as it consumes) home allows students to examine how all these concepts fit together into a home that is both livable and very energy efficient
Smarter Science Better Buildings has been developed collaboratively by the Saskatchewan Environmental Society, the Western Development Museum, Vereco Homes, with assistance from Saskatoon Public Schools and Sun Ridge Group.
Smarter Science Better Buildings was recognized at the 6th RCE Saskatchewan Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) Event, 2014.
For full program information, download the Smarter Science Better Buildings Teacher Manual (pdf).
Bus Subsidy Grant Program Information
Please direct questions about the Bus Subsidy Grant Program to the Education Department at the Museum you wish to visit.
Science 7 plus integration with Social Studies, English Language Arts, Arts Education, and Mathematics.
Science: HT7.1, IE7.4, Big Idea 5.0
Social Studies: IN7.2, IN7.3, RW7.2, RW7.3
Arts Education: CP7.12
Math: SP7.2, P7.1
How to book or inquire
|WDM Location||Registration Forms and Student Packages
Please print one Student Package for each student group and bring to Museum. For details, refer to page 3 of the Smarter Science Better Buildings Teacher Manual (PDF)
|WDM Moose Jaw
February 28 – March 15, 2023
|2023 information coming soon.
|WDM North Battleford
May 8 – 26, 2023
|2023 information coming soon.|
January 24 – February 17, 2023
|Information Package 2023 (PDF)
March 23 – April 6, 2023
|2023 information coming soon.
Museum Manners & Program Rules
Museum Manners & our Virtual Code of Conduct are rules intended to keep students and our artifacts safe and ensure a good experience for all visitors. Please make sure your chaperones and students are aware of and ready to follow them. NOTE: Specific Museums and programs may have additional rules.... Read More
- Smarter Science Better Buildings Teacher Manual (PDF)
- Smarter Science Better Buildings – Educator Survey
- Smarter Science Better Buildings – Introduction Video (11 minutes)
- Teacher Resource: Building Envelope (PDF)
- Teacher Resource: Conduction, Radiation, and Convection (PDF)
- Teacher Resource: Innovative Saskatchewan Design (PDF)
- Teacher Resource: Passive Solar Design (PDF)
- Teacher Resource: Radiant Floor Heating (PDF)
- Teacher Resource: Solar Collectors (PDF)
- Teacher Resource: Thermal Mass (PDF)
- Saskatchewan Environmental Society – Teacher Resources
- Natural Resources Canada- Keeping the Heat In